Thursday, February 21, 2008

Servant of God



I recently wrote a couple of little reflections for our church Lenten book on the theme of the Suffering Servant in Isaiah. I thought I might share them. The image above is of Isaiah and it is one of the images on the Sistine Chapel roof painted by Michaelangelo.
SB

Servant of God
Readings: Isaiah 42:1-7 & Isaiah 49: 1-6 –Servant Song 1 & 2


The first two servant songs fit together to give us a clear image of the origins of the servant and also of his mission. Isaiah 42 is written from the perspective of the creator and Isaiah 49 has two voices: that of the servant followed by a response from the Lord.

The servant comes from God. We learn from the servant that: “The Lord called me before I was born, while I was in my mother’s womb he named me.”(49:1b) and we know that God is pleased with what he created: “Here is my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen in whom my soul delights.” (42:1) The servant exists in special relationship with God in order to fulfil God’s purposes.

We discover that the servant has dual purposes. The servant is one who will “not grow faint or be crushed until he has established justice in the earth; and the coastlands wait for his teaching.”(42:4) In Isaiah 49 the Lord says of the servant: “I will give you as a light to the nations that my salvation may reach to the end of the earth.”

As we prepare for Easter, let us remember that Jesus, like the servant is the created and beloved Son of God. As we enter holy week, we reflect on two central themes of Christ’s mission: to bring justice to the poor and to bring salvation to all peoples, everywhere.

Prayer: Lord, how awesome is the gift of love you give us in your son Jesus. May I be truly thankful.

No comments: