Thursday, May 24, 2007

The Wedding at Cana - Chinese Style



Following on from my last post on the fantastic Chinese Christian Art of He Qi- here's another one of his paintings.

This one is the Wedding at Cana. It's in the style of a Chinese wedding - so the bride is the central figure with the red veil. To the right is the "shuangxi" or double happiness character which chinese people hang at weddings to bring luck to the couple - to the right is another wedding symbol - the red lantern.

The servants below are pouring water into big wine jars - the character "jiu" is written on the jars - "jiu" is the chinese word for wine.

I really love these images as they so simply translate the Christian story into a Chinese context. In exploring his art I can explore 3 things I love at once - Christian imagery, Art and Chinese language and culture - loving it!

If you haven't checked out He Qi's great webgallery yet do so on line - the link is below right.

Catcha soon!
SB

2 comments:

Robbi said...

Hi, I have been researching online the biography of this artist and havent been successful in finding much information. He is fantastic and wondered if you had any links or information on his inspiration, etc. I had heard he originally was in hiding while painting but can't confirm. Ran across your blog in searching. Thanks!

SB said...

Hi Robbi,

I'm sorry, I don't know much more about him than what is on his own website. You do see his art around a bit in China and many people are using it in the west as well. I love it as it really makes wonderful use of Chinese symbolism in portraying the biblical stories. If I do find anymore in my travels I'll certainly post it here so that you can find it.

Good luck!
Cheers
SB