Thursday, May 17, 2007

An $88 million obscenity



A Painting by the apparently famous american artist Rothko sells for $88 million. This is the lead story in The Age that I read this morning. Article

How is this possible?? There are millions of starving children in the world. There is an Aids pandemic in Africa. $88 million on a painting... has the world gone mad or is it just me??

The 0nly thing that makes me feel slightly better is that Rockerfeller who owns the painting is going to donate the proceeds to charity. (Well he hardly needs the cash does he!) Hopefully it's being donated to real charities, to help real people and it's not just a cover to keep his public image nice and shiny......


Come on world - what are we doing?? How can we allow little ones to be so needy and do so little about it?
One of the reasons I'm applying to candidate for ministry is so that I can focus more on making a difference for those on the margins. One of the things I've always admired so much about the UCA is their focus on Social Justice. Seeing that painting this morning made focus anew on the need to care for the poor and disenfranchised in our world.
Come on people - let's make some noise!
SB


2 comments:

BB said...

I could not agree more! Preach it, sister!

SB said...

Crikey BB - We'll make a protestant out of you yet!!! :-)
Hugs
SB