Sunday, November 12, 2006

Back in Black - back to my "roots"!


Following the conversation about theme songs and BB's theme "Back in Black" below, as well as a visit from a Kenyan group at church this morning I've been reflecting on some genealogical discoveries I've made lately....


My aunt was very excited with the prospect that we might have african blood in us. So now that I can in fact confirm that my 6X great grandmother was and African slave in Antigua, named Joanna she'll be chuffed!! I must confess to being rather excited by the news myself. I've always felt a calling to Africa and things african, and a desire to do what I can to aid the situation there. I wonder if I can find out what part of Africa Joanna was taken from? I'm certainly going to try to find out as much as I can about it. I'll go further into this in another post some time I'm sure.

This photo is of Joanna's great grandson Adolphus Trott, his son George Henry Stevens Trott (the famous cricketer and captain of the Australian XI in 1896 and his son Francis Henry Trott - my great grandfather.)All three were known as Harry. It was printed in the Australasian in 1918 - under the heading: 3 generations of Trotts. Adolphus arrived in Australia in the 1850s with his uncle's family, half brother and his grandmother (Joanna's daughter Betsy) Theirs is a fascinating story, and one which I am learning more and more about.

If there's one thing genealogy has taught me it is this: We are much, much more closely linked to each other than we think. We cannot be indifferent to the suffering and agony of Africa - for they truly are our family - one way or the other. The family of man is a much tighter knit family than we think.
Talk to you soon
SB

1 comment:

BB said...

My Love:

This is a great post and one that has me thinking I should be posting more stuff that I've discovered about my hrandfather, the not-so exemplary soldier in WW1!

Very moving and I wish you the best tracking down more info!

Love,

BB